PROJECT MICKEY: A FASHION DESIGN CHALLENGE
Mickey Mouse has brought laughter, optimism and hope to generations of fans around the world. The year 2018 marks 90 years since his on-screen debut in “Steamboat Willie” on 18 November 1928. Mickey Mouse has made his way into the hearts of millions of fans as a pop-culture icon and fashion muse.
Malaysia kicks off Mickey Mouse’s 90th-anniversary celebrations with the “Project Mickey” fashion design challenge, which aims to provide an avenue for rising fashion designers to create ready-to-wear pieces that reflect Mickey Mouse’s positivity and optimism with a uniquely Malaysian twist.
The top ten designers will receive a cash allowance to bring their designs to life at a fashion runway show in November 2018, where the winning designer will also be announced. The winner of this fashion design challenge will have their designs produced and made for retail availability in stores around Malaysia by local brand GL Designs as part of their ready-to-wear collection, and the opportunity to do an internship placement at The Walt Disney Company.
To be eligible, each entrant must submit:
- (i) Two (2) fashion sketches
- (ii) Write up of 500 words or less describing their design and inspiration
- (iii) A signed copy of the Terms & Condition Form
- (iv) A copy of a valid ID
Submissions must be mailed to the address - Level 6, Tower 2, Avenue 3, Menara N2N, Bangsar South, 59200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The design challenge is open from now till 10 October 2018.
- This fashion design challenge is open to aspiring designers above the age of 18
- Each participant may submit up to two (2) sketches/outfits with a short write up (up to 500 words) describing your design, inspiration, proposed fabrics and production techniques
- Fashion sketches should include both front and back sketches of the outfit
- The 2 sets of designs can be 1 male + female; or both male; or both female
- Each set of the design must consist of 1 top (shirt/blouse) and 1 bottom (pants/skirt/dress)
- Designs should be targeted at young adults/adults
- Designs should be ready-to-wear fashion and contemporary fashion – graphic tees, pants, skirts, dresses and shirts
- Designs must have mass appeal and should not be too complicated, as the products will be sold in departmental store channels
- The designs should combine Mickey’s characteristics of fun, optimism and positivity with uniquely Malaysian heritage and flavors
- Please keep all designs PG-rated, and with no association with war, violence, politics or religion
- Mickey Mouse should be represented in his entirety and not be defaced, deformed or damaged
- No promotion of other brands. For example, Mickey Mouse should not be attired in any recognizable clothing or accessory labels
- Design sketches should be painted or printed in color, on an A4 sized art block/ drawing papers mounted on a black colored mounting board.
- Applicable fabrics include knitted cotton, woven cotton, denim, chambray, poplin, chiffon. Fabrication can be discussed further, upon submission
- Suggested techniques for production include: Digital printing, color dying, felting, embroidery or serigraphy
|Creativity and Originality of Design Concept||40|