LOOK AT THESE “LITTLE MERMAID” TREATS, AREN’T THEY NEAT?
We’re positively flipping our fins over them!
by Disney Family
Did you know that International Mermaid Day falls in March? It is the perfect day to shell-ebrate our favourite mermaid – Ariel! Make these creamy yet crunchy chocolate and meringue treats fin-spired by Disney’s The Little Mermaid. (Alright, alright, we’ll stop with the mermaid puns.) They make such delightful gifts for your fellow mermaid fans, too!
- Teal food colouring
- White chocolate
- Mermaid tail moulds
- Piping or zip-top bag
- 3 egg whites
- 2 pinches cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fine sugar
- Violet gel food colouring
- Piping bags
- Star, drop flowers and round pastry tips
- Crumbled cookies
All cutting and use of appliances should be done by an adult.
2. Add teal food colouring to the white chocolate, mix well. Fill in a piping or zip-tip bag and snip off the ends. Pipe into mermaid tail moulds. Set aside to harden.
3. Preheat oven to 95°C.
4. Using an electric whisk, slowly beat the egg whites with tartar and vanilla extract. Gradually increase speed and add in the sugar in batches. Continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed.
5. Add in some violet food colouring to mixture and just gently make some swirls using a spatula. Fill into piping bags fitted with star, drop flower and round tips.
6. Pipe out shapes using the different tips on a tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven when time is up, but do not remove. Leave meringue to cool down fully in the oven, for about 1 hour.
7. Remove mermaid tails from mould and serve with meringue over crumbled cookies.