TURN YOUR FAVOURITE VALENTINE CANDIES INTO MICKEY COOKIES
Oh, boy! Aren’t these the loveliest?
by Disney Family
Valentine’s Day is upon us and we cannot be more excited. It’s the perfect time to show love and appreciation to all your favourite people! Instead of the classic candy “conversation” hearts that you see everywhere when the season of love rolls around, why not add an extra touch of magic with these Mickey-shaped “conversation” cookies instead? All it takes are a few ingredients, an icing pen and your trusty Mickey cookie cutter to whip up these delightful treats. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 egg whites
- Food colouring
- Mickey cookie cutter
- Piping bags
- Icing pen
All cutting and use of appliances should be done by an adult.
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour.
3. Preheat oven to 205°C. Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4 to 1/2” thick. Use a Mickey cookie cutter to cut shapes out of dough. Place cookies 1” apart on greased cookie sheets.
4. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
5. To make icing, beat together confectioners’ sugar and egg whites for 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick enough to hold its shape.
6. Divide icing in bowls and stir food colouring into each bowl to dye icing. Fill piping bags with icing. Cut a small hole at the ends.
7. Pipe icing along the edges of the cookies and let dry.
8. Then, pipe icing inside the lines and use a toothpick to spread it out towards the outline. Let dry until icing is completely hardened.
9. With the icing pen, carefully write phrases on the cookies. Then, pack them up and give them out as gifts!